Home SET Asylum

Single Ended Triodes (SETs), the ultimate tube lovers dream.

All I can say is it's lucky to be you...

Nice problem to have.

I have the Oto J/Spe and The Spe I think is quite a big jump over the copper wired speaker. I believe in making big jumps when you upgrade (and AN usually makes big jumps even with not too much money).

So I can see say going to the E/Spe - speakers still make the most obvious difference to the ear. The problem is that Oto Phono SE may run into an issue driving the E's bottom end although Bob Neil or someone else may make better comments on that. Still you gain an octave and none of the other upgrades are going to that.

All that said the J is no slouch and has plenty of bass and depth - some people I know prefer the J's sound to the E in a number of areas. Depends on which E and which J. A J/Spe I would take over an E/LX for example. If you're music is not pedal organ then added bass may not be all that important.

Someone also said they would skip the Meishu and I agree. The Meishu is very good but I think the separates are the better way to go. But don't knock the OTO Phono SE. I have heard a LOT of far more expensive amplifiers over the years and many do things better but there is something very simplistically right sounding about the OTO. It's one of those don't trade up -- try and keep it in a second system or you'll regret it one day kinda thing.

Frankly the wiring is the last thing I would do -- it makes no sense to use different cables - the whole thing oughta be wired with the same cable - that has always been my contetioousl logic issue with cables -- people spend thouasands on cables which go from an amp internally wirted with crap and then feed a speaker using zipcord. AN is different granted but it still makes no sense to use copper in the speaker with silver going to it. Weakest link and all that.

With AN I would try to get silver wiring all the way, E/SPe or J/Spe speakers, M3 and Quests, and find an AN TT3 (Voyd). The Dac 4.1 CDT TWo/II is the best I have heard from digital -- sadly it makes everything else so dreadful as to be unlistenable.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Crux Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • All I can say is it's lucky to be you... - RGA 05:28:51 10/28/06 (1)
    • oops - RGA 05:34:27 10/28/06 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.