Home SET Asylum

Single Ended Triodes (SETs), the ultimate tube lovers dream.

Re: Upgrade to Audio Note System

The Meishu is a good amp, but its preamp section is comparable to an M2, if memory serves. There has been talk about upgrading the Meishu, but nothing is imminent that I know of. (It's also a VERY heavy component which sometimes has trouble surviving the loving care of shippers.) The Meishu Silver is good upgrade from the standard Meishu, the Silver Signature is a fairly dramatic upgrade, which I concede it should be for the price. But it truly is. Budrew, who was a little iffy about Quest Silvers at one point, had his doubts removed by Silver Sigs. You might ask him about that. The move from Silver to Silver Sig in the Meishu is essentially the same as it is with the Quests...and Conquests.

The usual move is to put monoblocks on maple amp stands near the speakers rather than on the main equipment shelf, thus shortening the speaker cable run. When one is bi-wiring with silver cable (down the road in your case), it's nice to have that run as short as possible! I don't know how wives feel about monoblocks on amp stands, since mine is a model of indifference on such matters.

Again, I would put an amp upgrade after an upgrade to the source. That will give you more time to mull over the amp question. And who knows? By then the Meishu may inherit a preamp section upgrade, though it might also become bigger yet!

For what it's worth, a customer of mine with a CDT 2, OTO, and J/Lx's just upgraded his transport to the Mk II and put a used Dac 4.1 Balanced into his system and is crowing about the transformation they brought. Linn's Ivor Tiefenbrun (sp) preached for at least a decade about how a Linn LP12 could do more for a system than any electronics or speaker upgrade he could imagine and frequently demonstrated this bit of wisdom at shows. Source, source, source. Especially when you have a little jewel like the OTO and J's to complete the tale.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.