Home SET Asylum

Single Ended Triodes (SETs), the ultimate tube lovers dream.

Re: Other 845 on the Carissa

Ed, I am actively bi-amping. I am using the Carissa for the mid/base driving an Eaton 6 1/2" driver. I am using a highly modified 2A3 SET for the top on a true ribbon tweeter. When using the Carissa in this application I do not notice any difference using the 845B over the cheaper non "B" 845 China tube. I have tried the Carissa full range, the "B" did seem to have a little more extended top. However, listening to the "B", and I than left the room for lunch and came back and someone had changed to the non "B", I am not sure I would/could tell that the change had been made. I have been told that changing the input tubes can make a bigger difference than the 845 tubes, I have not tried that yet so can't say for sure.

There are two solid state rectifier's (GBU8A bridge rectifier's) mounted to the aluminum plate on the back of the transformer case. They are rated to operate up to 150c which is right at 300F (302). Using a laser temperature probe I never saw temperatures over 135F after an all day listen without heat sinks. This is what your new heat sinks are cooling. In this application, it is really not necessary to add the cooling fins, that being said I did as you did, I added the heat sinks (lol). That plate is now running about 110F to 115, 15% cooler. I hope you enjoy your amp, I certainly am.......Bob

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Crux Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.