Home SET Asylum

Single Ended Triodes (SETs), the ultimate tube lovers dream.

Re: Nervous about going SET

I have tight bass in both my Welborne 300b DRD ss ultimate version and my 45 DRD tube rectified version. No sloppy bass in either amplifiers. Both amps are musical. The first thing you need to do is obtain your speakers that are efficient enough to work well with SET amps. Since you are going to FL you might want to search a few estate sales while you are there for some vintage speakers. If I had $5K to spend a pair of used Klipsch Cornwall or Klipschorns, and a pair of Welborne 45 or 300b mono block amps would work well. Buying used gear like that would leave you with some money from your budget also. There are lots of speakers that work well with SET amps. A partial list can be found on the Welborne site for example. What about driving over the border if you can and bringing them back yourself? You folks in the Great White North have to pay VAT or other high import taxes. Just take your time and do lots of reading before you buy. If you do not find a pair of speakers that are efficient enough SET might leave a bad taste in your mouth, if they do not voice well with lower powered amplifiers. Good luck! John

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  McShane Design  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: Nervous about going SET - John Chleapas 23:31:07 10/24/06 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.