Home SET Asylum

Single Ended Triodes (SETs), the ultimate tube lovers dream.

Re: Nervous about going SET

I think your advice about keeping the headphone rig is a good one. I was thinking that I may have to sell my Ear to afford the SET amp though, which would mean breaking up the best of my headphone systems. But it is true...firing up 300B amps is not exactly cheap when I only need a 1/2 W MAX ever for my phones.

I perhaps should have clarified my nervousness. I'm worried I can't touch the great sound I heard from the SET systems I have had exposure to, with only 5k. However, if I could approximate this sound more aptly with P-P then I would go that route, and go SET later in life. I will say that so far, the 300B seems to work for me the best. I've heard the 845, 805, 211 and for now, I am not interested in speakers that can do 2a3's or 45's (or better put, my wife is not ;)

As for family, I'd never put them at risk financially. As spwal indicated, I have this rotating budget that I can access. I make a purchase a year or so and I'm not opposed to liquidating portions of my system as I journey. I'm reaching a point now that speakers are feasible, whereas they were not before hence all my headphone systems. Yet, having heard Wyetechs and Art Audios...heh, no way I can swing those costs but the sound! Oh the sweet sound! I'll have a look at the Audio Silver Night Mark 2 and read up on it. I don't need hammering bass, I listen very softly, but what I do want is tight layered bass (doesn't have to reach to 20Hz, nor 40 really, but I want good bass from what I can achieve.)

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.