Home SET Asylum

Single Ended Triodes (SETs), the ultimate tube lovers dream.

Another vote for TVC!

I use phono and line level components (CD, tuner) into my TVC and I have yet to "run out of gas". I do understand the description though, because I did run out of gas when I tried a passive resistor volume control. My stereo plays plenty loud with the TVC not even half way up. There is no perception of high end roll off even with my highish output impedance tube DAC. Quite the opposite in fact.

"Relative and subjective this opinion is", you say. "Mmmmmm... yes", Yoda. What is loud for me may be too wimpy for you. Instead I will tell you that I often measure ~90dB peaks on the radio shack SPL meter with the TVC volume control well beyond 20dB of attenuation, Usually it's around -26dB to -32dB down. That's well into the impedance friendly zone for this kind of device. And normally 85dB SPL in the room is loud enough for these old ears. I like extended listening sessions!

But of course my experience will not directly translate itself to you and yours. Your taste, your room size, as well as your speakers and amps are different than mine. In general, I think that if your amplifier has high sensitivity, (150mV or 250mV for full rated output) and your source has a robust output stage, then a TVC will work just fine for you. The rest is just nit picking. My speakers are only 94dB efficient and the amps are 8 watts with 250mV in. Room size is ~13x24

I see no real benefit in adding another active device in the chain if my TVC is already attenuating the source by 26dB.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Another vote for TVC! - Quiet Earth 12:04:46 10/23/06 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.