Home SET Asylum

Single Ended Triodes (SETs), the ultimate tube lovers dream.

Re: Student? Young Family? You need to be DIY my friend.

It has taken me quite a while to get what I have. I save and buy one item a year or two. If I go speakers, something will have to leave my system and that is likely the EAR HP4 which retails for about 4.5k USD and could likely be sold for nearly half that, paying for the amp or all of the amp and some of the speakers.

I'm leary about going DIY mainly because I have very little experience soldering and wouldn't want to mess things up after spending money on a kit. However, if there are simple walk throughs then that could be an option. I'm after sound, not throwing money away and perhaps I should have prefaced my "student, family man" bit with: "after hearing what some of the best SETs can do, I want that but on a budget ;) Basically, I can't afford AA or Wyetech gear, nor the wonderful speakers they were paired with, but I can afford some middle ground stuff and don't mind dropping the cash so long as I can approximate the good tunes I heard.

Maybe we could exchange emails and you could tell me more about what you have accomplished over the years?

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Analog Engineering Associates  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.