Home SET Asylum

Single Ended Triodes (SETs), the ultimate tube lovers dream.

bottlehead.com + madisound.com

DIY will get you where you want. I don't like pushing brands and I'm sure they are other options but most people who have built Bottlehead gear are very satisfied.

I would build the Paramount amps ($1,300) in either the 300B or 2A3 version. This is their top of the line amp. They´re about to release a Magnequest iron upgrade(let's assume $700). Build their Foreplay preamp ($700 with all the upgrades). Build a pair of horns, Madisound has now the special edition Fostex Fe206-esr, fantastic drivers for the money, although a little bit on the labor intensive side to build the recommended cabinets ($500 for the drivers + $250 for wood). Finally a powered subwoofer for your slam, the top of the line one from parts express is about $700 in kit form. $300 for tools, soldering iron, multimeter, etc. This totals $3,750.

You could add a pair of Fostex supertweeters. There´s a special edition one also on Madisound that is supposed to be very good and match very well with the fe206esrs. They are somewhere around $350 each.

I doubt you can do much better with that amount of money or even with twice that.

xavier

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.