Home SET Asylum

Single Ended Triodes (SETs), the ultimate tube lovers dream.

Re: Interesting post. A few Qs

Hello,

I am glad you pointed out the tubed CD players. When I wrote CD players, I meant SS output stage players, which have very low output impedance, on the order of 100 ohms.

The tube output stage behaves impedance wise more similar to a phono preamp. Coincidentally, the phono I'm using also uses 6dj8 as the final stage...

The output impedance of the 6dj8 is much, much higher than that of the transistor-based DACs, and you definitively loose frequency extension. If the 6dj8 is operating as a cathode follower, you have much lower output impedance, but I have no experience with that. My 76 preamp has a 7193 cathode follower, which provides a low output impedance, that is sufficient to drive the AVC. So I guess, the 6dj8 CF would also be able to drive an AVC/TVC without problem.

I don't have phono, only digital. I've always heard that to use a TVC optimally, one has to have the right gain and voltage interface between source and amps, AND the digital source has to have a quality output stage.

I agree wholeheartedly. These are all critical. If you want to experiment, put a small PP OPT after a cheap DVD player with mediocre sound, to decouple the digital ground from the rest of the system. The result is an output impedance in the 1 ohm range, and 100mV-range max output. If you have a preamp, that works excellent in that range, then you are for a surprise. But such preamps are rare, and you need loads of gain to compensate. The PP opt will behave as a TVC with 1 volume setting: very quiet... and the TVCs start having problems when the volume rises: the step-down ratio becomes smaller, impedance matching worse. However, I do not know if that is the cause for the thinning of the sound, or something else...

>Would either of the potential issues you mentioned above be addressed in the setup I described, and to what extend?

I your case there is still plenty of HF noise coming from the CDs output stage. The 6dj8 is a frame grid tube, capable of working in the MHz range - plenty of opportunity for the nasties to go through. Having a separate transformers for the tubes is very good, but unless you decouple the ground, the tube is going to amplify the HF noise.

I would suggest to place an AVC after a preamp with a lot of current drive.

However, you should try out the TVC right after the CD. You might like it. It's not bad - that's not what I am saying. You loose freq extension, but the midrange and stereospace will be very nice, that fades as you increase the volume.

Good luck!

Janos

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.