Home SET Asylum

Single Ended Triodes (SETs), the ultimate tube lovers dream.

Re: Help me pick a preamp for my SETs!

Jim,

I've been searching for an active preamplifier as well for my SETs. I have a TVC and I've auditioned an Art Audio, Marsh, and you're right about the Rogue - it's noisy, especially the phonostage (at least the 66 I tried out). I've had the MiniMax as well. What I remember about the Art Audio piece was the bass. What I remember about the Marsh was the "snap." It's tough to recall and compare to what I have now.

Anyway, I'm trying out the Wright WPL20 now and it sounds quite good in comparison to the Art Audio and Marsh preamps. Has lower noise floor than my Hogan amps. Speakers are Altecs at around 97 to 98dB. However, I can't make any comparisons yet since I just got it and I haven't tried out the phonostage, which will be used with George's step-up as well. I can tell you however that I'm extremely impressed so far given the cost, which is below all of the above, except my DIY TVC. Build quality is fine (not Art Audio standards) but that's why I like the gear. The money's spent where it matters most. Besides, the WPL20 matches my Hogan amps - not that that matters but I do like the look. No remote though. This thing's got some cool features too!

I like my TVC but it's very picky. Sounds great with my HDCD player and less great with TT and Dynavector P-75. But, it didn't work at all with a MiniMax phonostage and absolutely destroys the sound of my Scott tuner. I think I like the active approach overall but I haven't gotten rid of the TVC either. They're just different and you might prefer one over the other depending on your mood or type of music.

So, there's your answer. Get a TVC AND an active linestage...

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: Help me pick a preamp for my SETs! - VFR800A 13:22:48 10/20/06 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.