Home SET Asylum

Single Ended Triodes (SETs), the ultimate tube lovers dream.

Is the ECC40 a direct drop-in replacement in the DRD circuit?

Just did a quick web search and came across a couple of raving reviews for this tube.

On Bjørn Kolbrek's Tube Distortion page, he states:

This is a collection of measurements made on most of the tube types I have. I wanted to find the most linear tubes to use in the ampifiers I make. This is THD measurements, but I have viewed the output from the distortion analyzer on a scope, and usually the second harmonic dominate. Measurements are made over a wide range of levels, from 1Vrms (or 0,5Vrms) to 100Vrms across the anode resistor. At the lowest levels, measurements are strongly influenced by noise, so don't take those figures to serious. Everything above 5V should be reliable...

The best tubes seems to be E80CC, E88CC and ECC40. They all have mu in order of 20-40, so it seems that low mu triodes are more linear than high mu ones. But there are exeptions, like ECC82.

And from The Rimlock Project

ECC40 magnificent doubletriode

The idea of using rimlock tubes was born quite a while ago .

I modified several old Philips EL34 push pull amplifiers in the past and most of these amps used the ECC40 doubletriode serving as inputstage / phase inverter . The most famous application is the one that use a 150K anoderesistor and a 1K7 kathoderesistor at the first triodesection.

The second ECC40 section serves as phase invertor using two identical ( 150K )resistors at both the anode and kathode. Input stage and phase invertor are DC-coupled and can work both on a 250 or 350 volt power supply. With 350 volt supply the application can deliver a proper 30 Volt effective output signal at 1% THD. More than enough in most cases!

Please take a look at the ECC40 PDF file ( figure B ). I can asure you this application is sounding fantastic too, I can highly recommend it to all "expiriment freaky" guys over there, you won't be disappointed ! Wanna bet? Try and taste it!!

Of course I can only speak for myself here , but one thing became very clear to me:
The ECC40 is surely a "damn good" tube to use as a signal amplifier at the input of any serious audio amplifier. Lot's of spacious sound, smooth but detailed from the bottom to the top!

I decided to go on with this tube at the Rimlock Project, to increase the tubes performance ( voltage swing capability and lower the Rout ) I paralleled both triode sections.

Kind of gives me goosebumps to think the DRD's could be taken to another level of performance with just a simple socket change.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.