Home SET Asylum

Single Ended Triodes (SETs), the ultimate tube lovers dream.

EML 45 unscientific analysis but personal experience

Hi,

The EML are still very usable, and have a detail level and rightness that I am not sure I will be able to extract from the NU.

Here is the deal. Tubes were bought with my Korneff amp, i paid a bunch extra for these believe me. Though the seller was not entirely sure of the hours on the tubes, he said "around 300".

I think i may have a quality control issue here, and people have definitely had them with EML if you do a search.

Ok, forgot to mention these are VAIC VV45, the predeccesor to EML tubes.

If you turn off the lights and just look at the tubes, the louder one is glowing brighter. I did the uninterested girlfriend test "Honey, which one is brighter?" Got the answer in 1 second.

I may have a bunk tube. I have babied my amps and listened to them sparingly as I protect them for the next lucky owner.

Here is what it started to sound like: More output from the stronger tube was leading to a skewing of the soundstage to one side, and losing detail on the other. Still entirely satisfying to listen to as background music, but not acceptable for critical listening.

In a 1 hour test, the NU seem to have cleared upo the problem.

get the warrantee is the moral of the story i suppose. hope this helps.

spowal

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Western Glow Tube Service  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • EML 45 unscientific analysis but personal experience - spwal 08:50:08 10/17/06 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.