Home SET Asylum

Single Ended Triodes (SETs), the ultimate tube lovers dream.

Re: I want to build a parallel 845 SET amp

>> I'd think about 24-26w is about the most to expect to get out of an 845 and that's caning it at full dissipation in A1. Anyone that claims to get more is I think BS'ing to a fair degree. It would require running into A2.

Agreed.

>> most amps that claim big power like that lack the driving stage to handle A2, and even if they did distortion is going to be somewhat more significant than a pure A1 amp.

Agreed from the amps that I've seen but it doesn't have to be that way. Distortion on my amps remains very low and you cannot (in any way) pick the transition to grid current, measured or audible.

>> On top of that, the 845 is not rated for grid current so running them in A2 is not recommended simply by the nature of the specs as I read them.

I've not seen a specific spec that flags a problem here provide they are not in A2 100% of the time. Even on very loud music the amount of time spent in A2 is not long and does not cause a problem. I've been running amps this way for several years without a hint of a problem. I've yet to experience a crook tube (except out of the box), standard, Bs or Ms. Plus, A2 is virtually free power (read headroom) since it’s gained from increased efficiency.

>> For a full on flogger amp that goes into A2, the 211 may be the better choice

I can't claim to be an authority on 211s but the one pair of NOS military VT4 / 211s I’ve tried sounded thin to me and I much preferred the sound of 845s, even the cheapest Chinese versions.

Not to mention a high impedance output tranny.

Agreed.

>> For more power, rather than drive the 845 into A2, I'd look at something bigger. 250TL, 212, 304TL, 849, WL-468/460 are all feasible and will make 40-50W in A1.

Can't comment but I think your quote "the 845 is the sweetest tube out there I think" sums it up Ed. IMHO ,that alone says it's worth a go. Please believe that it works ... 35W to 40W per tube even at 1KV depending on OP tranny impedance … WITH low distortion. Yes, I agree the driver is the key! And if I’m wrong the amps could be easily modded to run something else.

BTW, I love the look of those Electronluv amps ... if they sound anything like they look they've gotta be awesome!

Regards,
Naz

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  K&K Audio / Lundahl Transformers   [ K&K Audio / Lundahl Transformers Forum ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.