Home SET Asylum

Single Ended Triodes (SETs), the ultimate tube lovers dream.

PX-25 vs. DRD 300B...

I'm not sure I can authoratively answer that question. I bought my Art Audio used with ~1,400 hours on the PX-25's, that's supposedly in the last 10% of their useful range. They sound great to me, but I have never heard new PX's, so there's no way for me to know what I'm missing.

The DRD's, in my system, are extremely, extremely, neutral. Tonally, almost none of the tell-tale 300B flavor that is so readily recognizable in most amps. Yes, it does have great midrange, but it's not like the ultra-lush approach that I experienced with a Cary SEI integrated. In my opinion, Cary and Welborne almost exhibit the polar extremes of 300B SET sound. If music were fabric, Cary's approach would be deep velvet and DRD's fine silk.

It doesn't seem that the DRD's favor or emphasize any particular region of frequencies. They are very balanced with great extension at both ends. Instruments like cymbals, bells, and triangles ring out, shimmer, then decay properly. Wood instruments and vocals have proper body and weight. And bass seems to reach very low. With the right speakers, it can be surprisingly tight and powerful.

But, to me, what the DRD's special trait is their nearly holographic presentation. Spatial cues are hauntingly real. Coupled with great focus and imaging, it can be a hypnotic experience.

To me, the PX-25 seems to have a more vibrant presentation. Not more lush or bright, more vivid, if that makes sense. I'll borrow an appropiate quote from a professional PX-25 review - it's "as if notes are lit from within". Also, the leading edge of notes have more attack which makes things sound more alive or less laid back than the 300B's. Perhaps this is just part of it's vividness. But, don't interpet this to mean that it has an edginess because it doesn't at all.

I recently had a chance to hear a 2A3 amp and a 45, a first for me. I think the PX shares a lot of their fine focus and imaging. More so than the 300B, but not up to the level of those other two.

The AA PX-25 seems to have greater low frequency grip and power. Of course, at 3.5x the price it should.

I wish I could say that one is better than the other, but their character is so different that I consider both a must-have. The DRD's are a must because, to me, they present a sound of 300B's no other amp I've heard even got close to. Instead of the usual over-ripe, heavyhanded approach, they are incredibly transparent and neutral. Beautiful sound.

The PX-25 is sublime. It has a hint of the greatest attributes from the 45 and 300B with it's own twist on things.

Both will be in my system for a very, very, long time.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • PX-25 vs. DRD 300B... - darkmoebius 23:39:08 10/12/06 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.