Home SET Asylum

Single Ended Triodes (SETs), the ultimate tube lovers dream.

Re: plate choke,coupling capacitor,grid choke 6sn7 into 2a3

I recommend the Magnequest line of iron
BCP-14 10mA, 100H, 2075 ohms DCR, channel frame, - $90 pr.
AND
BCP-16 1mA, 425H, 4400oms DCR , channel frame - $80 pr.
OR
BCP-16NI Permalloy version of above, - $140 pr.
And a 2.2uFd Mundorf Cap from Parts Connexion
Supreme, Silver/Oil or the Silver/Gold
Depends on the money you have to spend

From a review of the caps:

Mundorf Supreme Cap
Sound: The M-CAP SUPREME is another high-end capacitor! It delivers a very spatial sound with lots of depth. Good reproduction of the musical nuances. Detail and depth from the high treble right down into the low mid-range. Clear and transparent sounding cap with a good sound stage.
Verdict: 9

Mundorf M-Cap Supreme Silver/Oil
Sound: The M-CAP SUPREME SILVER/OIL is one of my favourite capacitors! I can only underline what Mundorf states: “wonderfully spacious and detailed sound reproduction ... an even fuller and smoother tonal richness and diversity. This capacitor’s ability to bring out the finest nuances and the subtlest distinctions make the music sound more alive and “juicy”, yet without unnatural emphasis of any individual effects. ... wonderfully spacious music reproduction”. A true high-end capacitor! Music! Detail and depth throughout from top to bottom. Very smooth and liquid.
Verdict: 10

Mundorf M-Cap Supreme Silver/Gold
Sound: Nicely clear and transparent, rich textured treble, very spacious – front to back and left to right, very good separation of individual instruments, deep black background, clean and dynamic, heaps of micro-detail information, the details get high-lighted a little. I know one could easily think that this capacitor must be good because everyone says so and it is very expensive but I have tried to keep my objective view and even so I am very impressed. Were I would describe the Silver/Oil as extremely neutral, I would describe the Silver/Gold as extremely natural if you know what I mean.
Verdict: 11

Full review is here:
http://www.humblehomemadehifi.com/Cap.html
I love the Silver/Oil myself and hope to try the Gold soon.
Not associated with them etc etc ...

DanL

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.