Home SET Asylum

Single Ended Triodes (SETs), the ultimate tube lovers dream.

Pentodes (EL34, EL84, KT88, 6550, etc.) in SE triode mode suck!!

Now that I've got your attention, I would really like to hear from anyone besides myself who has actually bothered to compare pure DH (directly heated) SETs and pentode SE amps. It bothers me that the "in-crowd" of SET fanatics will wax eloquently and in great detail about the sonic and musical qualities of their "pure" amps after extensive listening, but then put down pentode-in-triode mode amps without ever having heard them, even briefly. The same folks who berate Phlounder for making comments about equipment he has never heard are making strong negative comments about pentode-based SETs they have never heard. Technically, pentodes run in SET mode are indeed SETs, and should be given a fair chance to prove themselves.

Although I didn't have proper high-efficiency speakers with which to audition, I did compare a PP with an EL84 SET, and the EL84 SET with 300B SET last year. (I used my Apogee ribbon monitors, which have a flat impedance curve - unlike most ribbon speakers.)

I found the ASUSA EL84 SE kit amp to be very clean and revealing, and a good bargain at $500 with OEM tubes and signal path upgrades. The Cary/AE SE-1 with Valve Art 300B's was certainly stronger and more open with a more natural presentation of voice and acoustic instruments. I felt that both were much better than a Jolida SJ202 EL34 PP amp.

Doc B. has heard SUN SV-PM200 (a $780 kit which I have pictured above) integrated EL34 SE amp, and said that it sounded very good. (SUN also makes KT88 and 6V6 SE amps).

Tazsmonn is very happy with his SAS EL34 SE amps driving his Maggies, ad I don't think that ayone who puts down his gear has ever heard a SAS!!

Many inmates are happy with their 1-2watt ZEN SE amps.

So why are we seeing snootiness and one-upsmanship, even from people who haven't heard the amps that they are putting down? Wouldn't it be better to openly explore all avenues of single-ended amplification and compare qualities rather than limit this forum to de facto putdowns by single-minded fanatics?

The Asylum doesn't seem to be heading toward ban discussions of DEC/ZEN, SUN, ASUSA and SAS, but are folks, even moderators, trying to laugh them out of town? The "Purist DH SET" snootiness I have seen here lately is disgusting.

Dave van Harn

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Topic - Pentodes (EL34, EL84, KT88, 6550, etc.) in SE triode mode suck!! - Dave VH 14:38:09 04/15/00 (55)

You can not post to an archived thread.