Home Power Forum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share you ideas and experiences.

RE: Power Amp on Quintet versus Brickwall/Zerosurge

"I live in a house in the burbs, but my power fluctuates some, probably because of the ancient 100 amp main panel I need to replace."

Your main panel isn't the problem. Power just fluctuates naturally for the end user. I have a Quintessence, which displays the voltage and THD. The voltage varies over time, and the THD fluctuates throughout the day based on how much is being used in the area. It's lowest in the early morning hours after midnight when most people are sleeping and businesses are closed, and highest in the day and evening when people are home cooking dinner, watching TV, and do other things that use power and introduce noise into the system.

If you have problems with surges or a lot of lightening in your area, you may want to consider installing a whole-house surge protector when you have the panel replaced in addition to something with good protection and conditioning at point-of-use for more sensitive items. I live in central Florida, which is kind of the lightening capital, so I had one installed on the panel box when I moved in.

A lot of people don't realize their power can experience small surges on a regular basis that aren't enough to fry anything, but still do small amounts of damage over time. Eventually something may die if it suffers enough damage, but you won't know the cause because it wasn't a big event like a lightening strike close by.

I had a Quintet for a while, and it works great, but the form factor is not well suited for locating it in a cabinet because the outlets won't face out the back. If you plan to put it on the floor it's great, but one reason I replaced mine with a Quintessence is that the Quintessence is shelf-friendly.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Michael Percy Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Power Amp on Quintet versus Brickwall/Zerosurge - skytag 15:45:52 01/22/11 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.