Home Power Forum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share you ideas and experiences.

PerfectWave I2S HDMI cable claims don't make sense to me

I just don't buy the hype. With analog cables I can see the value of cables designed and built to deliver a signal as close as possible to the original. Analog signals are altered by cable capacitance and inductance, as well as resistance, and RF in the environment can alter the waveform.

But digital signals are a completely different beast. As long as the signal reaching the receiving device is strong enough to deliver a signal the receiving device can use, why care if the cable has slightly more or less resistance (silver versus copper conductors)?

When an analog signal is altered, it's called distortion. The worse it is, the more general degradation we hear in the sound or see in a picture. Small amounts of distortion may be unnoticeable to most people, as with an amp that has 0.05% THD, or a slight decrease in video saturation.

But digital signals don't get "distorted." They're either exactly as the original or they're corrupted. A corrupted digital signal is not just going to make audio sound a little degraded or make video less "three dimensional." Corrupt a digital signal, and *if* the receiving device can use it, the effects will not be subtle. Video will not be less sharp, or less "three dimensional," it will have noise in it. I have an 18" HDMI cable connecting my Blu-ray player to my processor, and a 15' HDMI cable from there to my 1080p HDTV. These are the cheapest cables I could find. There is no video noise, and the picture is exceptional in every way, as is audio from Blu-ray, CD, and SACD. So all evidence suggests that the little bits are getting to their destination just fine.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Topic - PerfectWave I2S HDMI cable claims don't make sense to me - skytag 23:41:21 07/28/09 (5)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.