Home Power Forum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share you ideas and experiences.

RE: Class D noise & budget mains noise removal

As Paul says, class D amps work by switching power on and off at very high frequencies. The more power you need the more time the power is "on." This is in contrast to a normal amp where the power is always on but the amount used varies. You can't magically get rid of the switching noise they add to the power line. Shielding will help, but it's still going to be feeding back into other components and as far as I know there is no economically feasible way to stop that completely. I believe even a power conditioner will be limited in its ability to help since all of your equipment is on the output side of the conditioner unless you put different pieces of equipment on different conditioners. Otherwise I think only benefit would come from the limited isolation between outlets on something like a Duet or above.

"I believe that active power conditioning/filtration or surge protection always comes at a price,"

Well, I hate to break this to you, but if you lose that equipment due to spikes and surges in your power the price will be quite high. And the damage doesn't have to be done all at once. Small spikes and surges can damage your equipment over time even if you never experience a big surge such as lightning can produce. I wouldn't even think about not using some form of surge protection on my electronics. In fact, I have a whole house surge protector installed on the panel box. We get a lot of lightning here, but surges and spikes can originate from a variety of sources. I've seen my voltage rise for no apparent reason and I've seen it drop enough to dim lights and necessitate unplugging my Quintessence to reset it.

"either by constricting dynamics or upsetting the tonal balance."

Some people probably swear by this, but personally I just don't buy it. The power coming out of your wall is far from perfect. A good power conditioner will output better power than it received. I have a Quintessence and I've never noticed any negative issues at all. The cleaning and protection it offers more than compensate for anything I might be losing.

Just my $0.02.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.