Home Power Forum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share you ideas and experiences.

You're taking a big risk IMO

"As for why the electrician wired it that way - I really don't know. I actually asked for a 20A circuit and this is what he gave me. A bit weird because of the 3-wire situation in the box"

I think he pulled a fast one on you. I'd bet real money that doesn't meet code because the breakers don't provide adequate protection. As I said, I'm not an electrician, but 30A circuits require 10AWG romex and outlets rated for 30A take a different plug. Your breakers will allow 30A, but nothing else in the circuit is rated for 30A. The dual hot wires will handle 30A, but the single 12AWG white wire isn't rated for that kind of current and neither is the outlet. Those are only approved up to 20A.

The upshot is that if something were to short out or go bad in such a way that it started pulling 25 or 30 amps through the circuit you'd be exceeding the rated capacity of your outlet, the white wire, and possibly other components in the system, but the breakers wouldn't trip, which could result in a fire. If you aren't comfortable doing it yourself, hire a reputable electrician to take that out and give you a legitimate, safe 20A circuit. At the very least call your local building inspector or a different electrician and ask him if that's legit. I'd be very, very surprised if it is.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • You're taking a big risk IMO - skytag 17:01:20 05/31/09 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.