Home Propeller Head Plaza

Technical and scientific discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

Re: 3rd harmonic distortion

Hi John.

The fig in Baxandall's article that I'm refering to is similar to Fig 2-16 (Calculated Distortion versus feedback level)on page62 in Cheever's Thesis whith the dip in the 3:d harmonic, but whith actual measurments up to the 6:th harmonic included.

BTW Cheever has ript of a large part of his math from this article.
I remember that you credited Cheever for his for his idea and history, I belive that it's a good idea BUT as several others have mentioned I don't belive that we should "aim" to fit the distortion in our systems to the ears natural aural harmonic distortion.

Instead aim should be that the distortion in the system is "low enough" (I can't and don't wan't to give a specific number... It's a difficult task, I hawe studied this for several years and been learning how our hearing works in regard to distortion. But if someone forces me to put out a number it would be less than 0.1% for amplifiers and less than 0.01% for preamps at full power/signal-level when all aspekts SID and EMF etc is included.)

And the most inportant aspect is that the distortion falls of faster or at least as fast as the ears natural aural harmonic distortion whith rising harmonics. Where the 7:th and higher absolutley should be down at vanishing small levels.

I ran across a wery intresting paper from AES whith very god distortion-measurment histoty and conclusions:
"Multitone Testing of Sound System Components-
Some Results and Conclusions" JAES Vol 49 No 11 2001 Nowember.
Wery good reading

I have been "fideling around" whith electronics and loudspeakers for some 20 years now and I am an electric engineer working whith both tubes and transistors (low (20 to 30 dB) or no global feedback), but ower the yerars by learning more I'we discoverd that there is more and more to learn and that I know less beause there are more and more questions to answer. I'we read the articles written by You, Walt, Otala, Baxandall and others. Done a lot of tesing and measurments of my own but ewery time you learn something new there are also new questions.

To come back to the issue here, I known that the dips in the harmonic distortion stucture is there whith bjt's (There are sewerall present in the higher harmonics) But I haven't got the real grasp on why they are there and why fet's don't have them. What function is in work here? Ofcourse fet's have a near parabolic transter function and bjt's have close to a exponential transter function and this is a part of the answer (Or the key point actually?)

Enjoy creating / MAD MAN HARJU

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: 3rd harmonic distortion - MAD MAN HARJU 15:07:23 12/28/04 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.