Home Propeller Head Plaza

Technical and scientific discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

"reasonable-cost"

You've written a rather ambiguous post. First, what constitutes reasonable cost for one person may not qualify for another.

Secondly, you include no mention of what wattage you require. I tried searching your "Vishay VSH" for some indication, but couldn't find anything indicating what they are (or were), including on the Vishay site, except to see that VSH is their stock market listing.

The Mills are good resistors, but their lowest wattage rating, at least that I'm aware of, is 5-watt. Do you require that much heat dissipation, or are you considering them based on their reputation for low noise?

With that said, the Texas Components "Naked Bulk Metal Foil Resistors" are rated for very low noise, and have a reputation for being very sonically neutral. I've used them in some key areas of phono stages, and like them very much. They're not "reasonable cost" by my standards, unless I compare them to something like an Audio Note Silver Tantalum (which I've never used) and then they begin to look more reasonable to me.

Note that they make several types, the original TX2352 which are somewhat lower in cost, or their best offering, the TX2575 Z-Foil, which are the ones I used. (link to both below)

Another great thing about them, in addition to their low noise and neutrality, is that they will make them to a specific ohmic value. I have an RIAA network, for example, in which one of the values requires a 100K to be paralleled with a 330K. When I replace them I'll be ordering a TX2575 made to 76,744 ohms (the value of those two paralleled) at no extra charge, even in quantities of one or two, with a tolerance of 0.1%

Also take note that since you're a manufacturer, the prices go down as the quantity ordered goes up.

I hope this helps.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • "reasonable-cost" - 1973shovel 02:52:34 08/17/21 (1)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.