In Reply to: RE: An innocent question... posted by Tony Lauck on December 19, 2014 at 07:04:11:
While I like most of your posts this one sort of seems to say things I don't like. I never prefer noise or distortion in the recording process. That is completely different than the few types of "purposed" distortion I can tolerate in electric music. I listen to acoustic and electric music. I do like some preamp level distortion on electric guitar (except some tube amps) for instance but never at the power amp level or by recording at levels or in a way that would distort even acoustic instruments recorded via microphones.
I know the kind of "space" that can be created by using a mic to record sound in a "room". I've also heard plenty of recordings in all genres that have a large noise floor using only mics to record acoustic sources. I also know that some things recorded direct with no mic can sound good too. I have many 2 mic acoustic recordings and they vary widely in quality. Some are not so good and it has some to do with the room and improper mic placement. Studios in my opinion are like restaurants in that they vary in quality some are good and some are sterile.
You just can't generalize on this. You can say what music you prefer as you did. And that's it. But how you went from the OP's topic of how one might determine if electric components used in reproduction of sound may differ to passing judgment on what music or recordings people use is totally beyond me and a little snooty as I see it.
His question had nothing to do with music or different types of recordings.
"If at first you don't succeed, keep on sucking till you do suck seed" - Curly Howard 1936This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
Topic - Any scope photos of different resistors... - Tweaker456 14:22:28 12/18/14 (19)
- RE: Any scope photos of different resistors... - Old nuff 2 no better 05:24:46 07/30/15 (0)
- RE: Any scope photos of different resistors... - rick_m 07:45:15 12/26/14 (5)
- RE: Any scope photos of different resistors... - Ugly 13:33:52 02/01/15 (2)
- RE: Any scope photos of different resistors... - rick_m 21:22:59 02/01/15 (1)
- RE: Any scope photos of different resistors... - Ugly 06:28:35 02/02/15 (0)
- RE: Any scope photos of different resistors... - email@example.com 10:02:14 01/09/15 (1)
- RE: Any scope photos of different resistors... - rick_m 11:26:29 01/09/15 (0)
- An innocent question... - geoffkait 03:46:20 12/19/14 (11)
- RE: An innocent question... - Ugly 13:40:40 02/01/15 (3)
- RE: An innocent question... - geoffkait 04:45:52 02/07/15 (2)
- It ain't me... - Tweaker456 13:39:01 12/20/14 (0)
- RE: An innocent question... - Tony Lauck 07:04:11 12/19/14 (5)Follow Ups
- -1 - Awe-d-o-file 22:39:46 12/20/14 (1)
- RE: -1 - Tony Lauck 11:47:48 02/16/15 (0)