Home Propeller Head Plaza

Technical and scientific discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

RE: Strawman alert!

You wrote,

"if the impedance is different in the two directions, then this can be measured."

I never said or even suggested that it couldn't be measured. Of course, nobody actually does measure it.

You also wrote,

"Measurements are not the end, they are a means to the end, which is good sound."

OK, if you say so. Are you volunteering? Measurements of what, that is the question. In this day and age, there are a great number of things that cannot be measured, or at least one would have difficulty coming up with a measurement strategy. You know what I'm talking about.

You also wrote,

"Where measurements are available they can be quick and reliable. Listening tests tend to be unreliable and costly."

Really? I would think the opposite. Unless you already have the measuring equipment. Besides, you still have the problem with WA Quantum Chips, clocks, rainbow foil and all those other things that go bump in the night.

You also wrote,

"If one is trying to improve the sound of a product (or a system) working by listening tests will be slow and costly."

I actually don't think that's true. Not slow, not costly.

You also wrote,

"If effective measurements are available then much of the journey can be done quickly, with fewer expensive listening tests required."

How do you effectively measure a lot of the new fangled things that have popped up in the last twenty years? All the quantum stuff. All the PWB stuff. Let alone all the CD fluids, room tuning widgets, all the RFI/EMI doo dads, even vibration control stuff. Much easier to conduct listening tests.

Edits: 03/01/14 03/01/14

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Strawman alert! - geoffkait 11:26:43 03/01/14 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.