Home Propeller Head Plaza

Technical and scientific discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

RE: Pop Quiz - Is stranded cable directional?

"Interconnects or speaker wires that have pianos wandering all over the stage normally have their signal and return going in the same direction...."

Jim, I've never actually tried that configuration and haven't noticed the problems that he mentions. The only two that I've tried were with signal and ground running in the same direction and signal and ground running in both directions (remember I'm using four wires).

It was long ago and I made the unusual (for me) decision to do it all empirically just for fun. Part of that was that I suspected nothing would come of it, part that I figured it would be hard to quantify and part was that I didn't want it to feel like I was "working".

Now that I'm well retired I may revisit it and see is I can gleen any useful insights by attempting to find correlated measurements and models. It's also fun to understand things...

Regards, Rick

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Pop Quiz - Is stranded cable directional? - rick_m 10:14:26 02/26/14 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.