Home Propeller Head Plaza

Technical and scientific discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

RE: Pop Quiz - Is stranded cable directional?

You wrote,

"Read unclestu's post above.

"All metals have a grain structure which is basically the crystalline pattern of the substrate being aligned in a particular direction, generally in the direction of the cast metal or the drawn metal. You can change that structure by forging, annealing ( heat treatment) and use of cryogenics. But remember all metals are crystalline in nature ( except mercury) at room temperature. all crystals have an orderly or at least, semi orderly pattern, due to the formation of the crystalline structure and the nature of a crystal."

I agree."

Who wouldn't agree? I thought everyone knew that.
geoffkait (M)

>>>>>>

I said
"If you can guarantee all bare strands of wire that make up the conductor are all aligned in the same direction as they were cast/drawn then yes, imo, the conductor would be directional.
Problem is I doubt if any manufacture of stranded wire could care less if all the bare stands of wire within the conductor are going in the same direction."

Before I said,

"Read unclestu's post above.

"All metals have a grain structure which is basically the crystalline pattern of the substrate being aligned in a particular direction, generally in the direction of the cast metal or the drawn metal. You can change that structure by forging, annealing ( heat treatment) and use of cryogenics. But remember all metals are crystalline in nature ( except mercury) at room temperature. all crystals have an orderly or at least, semi orderly pattern, due to the formation of the crystalline structure and the nature of a crystal."

I agree."

geoffkait, you need to learn to read the whole post and not just pick and choose parts of the post that fits your fancy. You need to learn to keep in mind the main subject matter of the post.
>>>>>>>

geoffkait (M),
Do you agree? Or disagree?

Edits: 02/25/14

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.