Home Propeller Head Plaza

Technical and scientific discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

RE: Jitter Article & Listening Tests-With Music Files

Ive made a series of product improvements where I have measured the P-P jitter from one to the next and these were all in the range of 100-200 psec incremental changes. These measurements were real-time using a 7GHz sampling scope and jitter measurement S/W.

The difference in SQ of these changes were all obvious in my system. I have yet to make an improvment in jitter that I can easily measure that I cannot hear.

One example is a USB converter with the output transformer 250psec and without 100 psec. This is averaging the gaussian curve, so there is more to the picture than one number.

In my measurements, the tails of the Gaussian curve are the P-P numbers and these may only occur every 10 or 20 seconds. I can actually watch these update as the measurement progresses. These are definitely not audible. This is why using one number to describe jitter is nonsense. One must look at the shape of the Gaussian curve to get a feel for the real audible effects. I believe this is even more important than the spectrum of the jitter.

Steve N.

Edits: 11/16/13

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Jitter Article & Listening Tests-With Music Files - audioengr 15:02:48 11/16/13 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.