Home Propeller Head Plaza

Technical and scientific discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

RE: Err, shorter and longer loops sound different.

And here we are a month later and I just removed mine yesterday!

My system was sounding worse and worse and I figured my karma was catching up with me and that I was going to have to quit procrastinating and order new caps for my preamp which has been slightly on the hummy side for quite a while. It's just slightly above the threshold of perception if no music is playing and the room is quiet.

But then again the level and nature of the hum seemed about the same as it has been so I decided to pull the loops off the speakers just in case and darned of that didn't fix it right up. I was just so glad that it sounded good again that I abandoned science and just enjoyed some music. Clearly they need to be reinstalled and see what happens.

At a guess it probably has nothing to do with the loops themselves and everything to do with breaking and retightening the connections from the speaker wires to the two sets of terminals. In 20/20 hindsight I would have looked diligently for signal voltage between the cable and contacts before disturbing them, but frankly I wouldn't have bet a nickel that messing with them would make a whit of difference and when it did it was of course too late.

So many variables in life, so little control...

Rick

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  The Cable Cooker  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.