Home Propeller Head Plaza

Technical and scientific discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

RE: Audio System Performance (a rant)

"The two errors can, potentially, offset each other exactly. One does not listen to individual components, one listens to the complete system, or, more precisely, the complete record-playback chain. There would be no reason to prefer a system with two perfectly "flat" components, vs. one that had two components with exactly offsetting errors. There would be nothing mediocre about such a system."

Too much potentially, perfect and exact in your comment to be credible to me.

And again I think it's ludicrous to think you could find a component with a disturbing audible frequency flaw that could be corrected by another component with an exactly opposite frequency flaw without introducing loss or performance hit into the system.

That said, even if you had such a system, good luck when replacing or upgrading components.

And FWIW - for the most part small speakers with low bass limits will not produce deep bass not matter how much deep bass you pump into them. If you want deep bass you do not select speakers with no bass. It's wishful thinking at best to think you can do what you suggest.

"Some types of errors, especially non-linear distortion, do not have offsetting errors, so in this case your conclusion would be correct, but I don't believe that's what Sordidman was discussing."

Personally I'm far less effected by perfect frequency response or tonal balance given a reasonably good system than I am by musical drive or captivating vocal performance or the ability to playback all kinds of recordings. IMO the stuff that makes the most difference (given a decent frequency response) can not be replaced or made up for once it is lost.

And without your perfect and exact definers neither can frequency response. Your point, and Soridmans, is a strawman....

Edits: 12/20/12 12/20/12 12/20/12

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.