Home Propeller Head Plaza

Technical and scientific discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

RE: Audio System Performance (a rant)

"Synergy is finding components that enhance the strengths of other components & mitigate the weaknesses of the other components.

If an amp is pretty even throughout the sonic spectrum, yet has a slight boost in the upper midrange, it will be symbiotic with a speaker that has a slight hole in the upper midrange."

That is not synergy. I guess if one is trying to build the most mediocre and characterless system available your thinking makes sense.

If one is interested in great midrange performance then every component chosen should have great midrange performance. Really to think one is getting something selecting equipment that makes up for each other deficiencys is senseless. When something is lost, it's lost, you can't get it back in another component. What's up with that?

Go for what you like and pile on those strengths. It's true that all equipment is flawed in one way or the other. So it should be obvious that one should select components with similar strengths that align with the listeners preferences.

IMO it's kind of weird and silly for some to try to put a system together as you suggest.

Edits: 12/17/12

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.