Home Propeller Head Plaza

Technical and scientific discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

RE: Audio System Performance (a rant)

"Yes, it sounds better, on a carefully calibrated (by listening and measuring) playback system that has been adjusted so that the majority of recorded music will sound good on it, leaving only outliers as sounding bad. By sounding better,"

This is my philosophy. Have a system that is very detailed and resolving despite being neutral. I think some audiophiles deplore "neutral" because they associate neutral with boring or pedestrian and run off to find some exciting "voicing" done by a boutique designer.

"I expect recorded music to give me the same emotional experience as a live concert,"

I get more spine chills and goose pimples at home actually. For me, a concert is a more engaging experience where I get to be in the company of the performers I want to see. The visuals are not virtual but real, as is the acoustics of the venue. It may not sound perfect, but it's the ACATUAL sound of THAT venue with THOSE musicians with THEIR PA equipment. Because there is a PA involved I don't worry so much. Unplugged instruments? That's surreal. From string and soundbox right to my ear. I guess for me is that although I enjoy both I just think of them as different ways to appreciate art which BOTH give me satisfaction, just in slightly different ways.

Cheers,
Presto

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Audio System Performance (a rant) - Presto 07:57:28 12/10/12 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.