Home Propeller Head Plaza

Technical and scientific discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

Re: Technical question about vinyl

>>are we still not dealing with some sort of discrete series of motions and, consequently, that there is bound to be some discontinuity between these

==Absolutely.

>>laying the argument of the superiority of analogue reproduciton as being based on some uninterrupted continous wave the way God intended music to be, a little bare?

==No more than it ever was 50 years ago when Lp was king.

I maintain that no medium is best, each has problems and always will. I may see holographic 3D optical storage mediums for cheap in my lifetime but will they let you hear "the hairdoo's"? I doubt faster sample rates will change the sound much. I think digital is quite good today. I find analogue far more problematic and disapointing when playback noise takes away from the music. Still, the sheer beauty of the performance can be all powerfull. I have a treasured Calvin Jackson and his All Stars lp from '57, scratched, furrowed and mono still delivers far more energy, tonal character, and ambiance than most any digital I've heard. All those scratches won't impress anyone but a music lover, and that's why I still play it. I listen for materials sounds ie: drumsticks, maple wood tips or nylon, Ludwig or Pearl. You can do that with LP in spite of spurious stylus movements. On the other hand the tonal character changes record to record. Stylus cleanlines is a vocation. Got a pet in the house? TC

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.