Home Propeller Head Plaza

Technical and scientific discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

Re: A message from your host....

I would argue that there's really no need for this forum in the first place, making its name irrelevant. Technical discussions had always taken place on all the other forums and still do. This forum was created in a rather awkward attempt to deal with the equally awkward DBT-Free Zone policy of Cable Asylum.

The DBT-Free Zone policy allows certain objective claims (i.e. objective claims relating to actual audibility) to be made while prohibiting those claims from being questioned or challenged without violating the DBT-Free Zone rule.

I've always felt that if objective claims are allowed to be made, they should be open to question or challenge. Otherwise, don't allow the objective claims to be made in the first place.

Prop Heads was created as a forum where cables could be discussed without the DBT prohibition. But because there's little if any discussion of DBTs here, and because technical discussions continue to take place on the other forums, it's largely just been relegated as something of a backwater forum (it's not even listed on the main page).

The DBT-Free Zone policy was intended to deal with two basic problems; one, to avoid the endless and unproductive DBT debates that have raged for decades and two, to allow people to share their subjective experiences without constantly being harrassed to provide objective proof of those subjective experiences.

I agree with both of those goals. I don't agree that the DBT-Free Zone policy as implemented is the best way to deal with it and I also don't agree that Prop Heads is the best way to deal with inadequacies of the DBT-Free Zone policy as implemented.

I've always felt that the best way to deal with these issues is to prohibit objective claims with regard to actual audibility as well as prohibit the challenging of peoples' subjective experiences by demanding objective proof of those subjective experiences (i.e. double-blind testing).

If no one is allowed to make any objective claims regarding actual audibility, there's nothing to challenge with regard to double-blind testing and if anyone challenges someone's subjective experiences by demanding objective proof, that person is out of line because there's simply no questioning or challenging the subjective experiences of another.

Then we can just forget about a separate technical forum and arguing over what it should be named and allow things to continue as they have been with technical discussions taking place in those forums which are most germane to what's being discussed.

se

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.