Home Propeller Head Plaza

Technical and scientific discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

RE: Call me crazy but the difference in cables Isn't that much

So you are really asking about interconnects. The term "cable" is ambiguous since it can cover speaker cables and power cords as well as interconnects.

The interconnects supplied with various pieces of equipment should work perfectly well. Forget about unshielded interconnects. The main trouble with inexpensive interconnects is that the ones I have seen are not very robust and they may be damaged after a while if you change them around or take them out to clean them every once in a while. So, somewhat more expensive ones that appeared to be well made and tough may be more convenient in the long term. Also, the connectors may be gold plated so as to inhibit corrosion.

Difference in sound? If the shielded interconnects have clean connections there is no general reason why they should make a difference in sound at line level. Damaged interconnects or corroded connections can easily make an audible difference.

At phono level, differences in cable capacitance may make an audible difference with some phono cartridges. My cartridge likes some capacitance, and my preamp has control to add some capacitance.
-----
"A fool and his money are soon parted." --- Thomas Tusser

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.