Home Propeller Head Plaza

Technical and scientific discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

RE: Heating and cooling nonlinear power devices.

I know stuff wears out. Everything.
But, will a resistor run within power rating given a 'conservative' design, be subject to early fatigue death? I've seen boards where the place under a 10 watt carbon has been heat charred...but this was in gear run 24/7. (semiconductor fabrication equipment)

Were the dead resistors you refer to always run within design limits or a little edgier?

And IM distortion? Short of LN2 immersion, what can be done? Every circuit element has resistance and therefore heats. I don't know how much a warm inductor changes, but certainly semiconductors...discrete power devices or even low level integration of OPAMPS or even hi level integration.....
You're saying resistors change, too. All well and good, but how much and to what real effect that you can address?
These kinds of effects make sense if you're looking for ETs and have a radio dish listening stuff millions of light years away and SNR is beyond critical.....

Aren't all these effects pretty much the 'cost of doing business' with electronics?

I guess my question would be....
What does it do to my listening experience that I can actually do something about?
Too much is never enough

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.