Home Propeller Head Plaza

Technical and scientific discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

RE: Heating and cooling nonlinear power devices.

while cyclic application of energy will raise the temp, at some point, the temp difference becomes very small. That is during REAL signal conditions. As the energy applied becomes equal to the energy radiated or conducted over short time periods. While a very short 'burst' of applied energy will raise the temp, the rise over the ambient will be fairly small. Of course, you can overpower any resistor. I've changed out plenty which had been reduced to charcoal. Indeed, the key is the AVERAGE temp you mention. Just for the sake of numbers, let's say my house is 70f. The resistor will have an average temp in use of say....100f. During play, what will it vary? +-5f? or more or less?

Engineers always go for worst case, cost willing.

And yes, generally speaking, semiconductor cooling is a series of thermal resistances which can be usually boiled down to a single number. Don't forget that some amps simply sound better after being on for a while. My 'd' amp? Maybe 20 minutes. Some component in it likes to be warm.

But, short of immersion in LN2, what does this have to do with real world conditions? Designers like to keep stuff cool, but also compact and packagable.
Equipement generally does like better cooling, or at least lasts longer. We're all at the mercy of room ambient, listening habits and setup. The only group which has successfully fought thermal noise is the SETI folks who take extroidinary measures to cool equipment and run in a low noise (electronic) enviroment. I'd love a Faraday cage around my house which is fed by an isloation transformer this size of a bus.
Too much is never enough

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.