Home Propeller Head Plaza

Technical and scientific discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

Do Microphones "Hear" Like The Human Ear/Brain Does?

I ask this question in all sincerity. Why is it when I listen to live, unamplified music I never hear any simbilance, but when I hear a recoding of that same acoustic event there will be sometimes be excessive simbilance? Perhaps I'm looking at this incorrectly, but it leads me to believe either microphones are adding something to the original event that wasn't there i.e., simbilance or the microphones are hearing something that exists, but the human ear/brain doesn't hear it.

Either way I see this as a problem. If the microphones are adding simbilance which wasn't actually present at the original acoustic event then that's a coloration or distortion and if the microphone is hearing something that exists, but the human ear/brain doesn't hear then the mics are not a device that I want being used to tell me how accurate an amp, speaker etc is when it doesn't hear or listen in the same manner the human ear/brain does and hence it isn't capable of providing an accurate portrayal of what I heard in the first place...

Tom Scata (thetubeguy1954)
===============================================================
SETriodes Group --- Central Florida Audio Society --- Space
Coast Audio Society --- Fullrange Drivers --- Front & Back Loaded Horns

Thetubeguy1954 (Tom)

Central Florida Audio Society -- SETriodes Group -- Space Coast Audio Society
Full-range/Wide-range Drivers --- Front & Back-Loaded Horns --- High Sensitivity Speakers

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Topic - Do Microphones "Hear" Like The Human Ear/Brain Does? - thetubeguy1954 13:08:42 03/25/11 (28)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.