Home Propeller Head Plaza

Technical and scientific discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

RE: Protocols aside, all the 'good' objectivists want....

But I don't think that proof of audible differences is required in most cases. Really, when you think about it, the number of components for which there are credible allegations that there are no audible differences is very small. Mostly fringe stuff, like dots. Maybe in some cases cables and power cords. In those cases, I think ABX tests might help prove that differences do exist, although their utility in proving that they don't is as far as I can tell pretty marginal.

Another use for ABX tests might be in determining just what is audible, as in the Clark amplifier tests. It would certainly be useful to know that the audible differences in amplifiers are due to impedance matching and power. I know that I'd love to see too if demonstrated audible differences in cables could be attributed to shielding and RLC, as I suspect, or whether it's oxygen free copper, dielectrics, etc. as some claim.

In addition to blind and ABX tests, I'd like to see tests like distortion listening. Compare what's at the output of an amp with a real world load with what's at the input. Record the difference. Try superimposing it on the original signal to see if it has an audible effect and see whether we can hear the distortion spectrum of a good amplifier with real world transducers.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Protocols aside, all the 'good' objectivists want.... - josh358 20:10:08 07/24/10 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.