Home Propeller Head Plaza

Technical and scientific discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

RE: No reason to care unless you buy things

Hi
“ Only thing is, there is no such thing as a "simple" blind test, or an easy one, or one that doesn't require lots of planning, forethought and resources (including money).”

That would I think depend on if you’re trying to follow full scientific rigour or were satisfying curiosity at a more coarse level.. Many things lend themselves to a more simple approach than a full bore double blind approach.

“Now, suppose that a manufacturer DID invest all the time, money and resources into conducting a really good blind test, would any of the hardcore objectionists believe the results, or allow that a valid positive occurred? Even with two such test results available?
Even if it was 3rd party conducted?”

Probably not, a tribute to the effectiveness of the current romantic “sweet mystery of life” marketing tact psychologically speaking. Yet to me the argument that if in your own home, using the musical passages you pick, doing it whenever you feel like it, that if one still can’t hear the difference you heard when you “knew” which was which, that what you heard was more influenced by things internal rather than external to your tympanic membrane.
Since one cannot separate the two without that kind of test, it is worth looking at sometimes, particularly if you engineering a product or considering buying same.

More often, in the tests i took part in, the cables which the attendees brought that had a “big perceived sonic differences” when they knew which was which, essentially vanished with the same musical passages when the knowledge of which was which was taken away.
I could only conclude that the speaker cables acted on the signal, altered the result like they measured, in a way fully consistent with a “Pspice” like view would predict based on the equivalent circuit parameters as one might measure with a network analyzer (that is to say like the rest of electronics).

“subjectivists don't need any such "iron-clad results" anyway.”
True, that allows things like Kinoki foot pads, magnetic bracelets and magnetic fuel conditioners and a whole wide range of products which don’t actually work to enjoy success. It is a free country still pretty much.
Tom

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: No reason to care unless you buy things - tomservo 14:40:08 06/13/10 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.