Home Propeller Head Plaza

Technical and scientific discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

RE: Yes,there is much that is very important that we cannot measure.

"THD was enough to turn me off what EEs think is useful measurement."

Norm, could it be that you are doing the same thing at the next level? In other words are you letting your unhappiness with THD as a useful metric cause you to be using not EE's beliefs in THD but rather your belief in their beliefs to taint your perception of the usefulness of EE's, measurements and science in general?

OK, you are doing good if you can make sense out of that sentence, but I stand firm on this: Quantification and correlation are the driving forces for not only science, but all human progress. They are the precursors to understanding systems and processes and bending them to our will.

Measurements are GOOD! Measurements are good period. Good measurements are even better. Highly correlated measurements are best.

EE's are good too. They mean well, but they don't know (thank you G&S). I take strong issue with your heading as I think there's virtually nothing of importance in audio that we can't measure. Doesn't mean we do or know well how to weight it, but we already have the physical and mental tools even if our techniques are not fully developed.

Obviously there are factors still insufficiently controlled to insure user contentment. I'm all too aware of that just now as I'm right in the middle of trying to sort out a 'touch' and so far my experience with it isn't very promising, yet it has a good reputation sonically. If it weren't for that it'd be on it's way back already, but now I'm starting the grind to try and see if it's externally addressable. I've got lots of ideas to try, many from John S. and will attempt by measurements and structured testing to see if I can get it good enough to work. Guess it's part of the rich pageant of being an 'audiophile'...

Rick

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Yes,there is much that is very important that we cannot measure. - rick_m 08:23:18 06/10/10 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.