Home Propeller Head Plaza

Technical and scientific discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

Re: dissection of brilliant pebbles

The Shakti, Shun Mook. and Brilliant Pebbles work on the piezo effect which many crystals possess. Quartz and tourmaline's tend to be the more highly piezo electric crystals (as evidenced by the crystal oscillators in your cell phone and other digital appliances). Of the quartz family (citrine, amethyst, rose quartz, etc.), topaz seems to be the most electrically active.

Fortunately, quartz is also the most common mineral on the Earth's surface. The Shakti is the most scientific about the use of quartz and the bricks and such, and actually form waveguides to order to focus the EMI/RFI fields upon the crystals.

You can use simple quartz crystals and duplicate much of the effect these devices have. I use the tumbled pieces found in many 'New Age' stores. The idea here is that the quartz will absorb some EMI/RFI and translate this absorption into mechanical motion, abit on a very small scale. You can buy a crystal formation and simply break it up with a hammer, too. Depending where you live, you can find it in your back yard at times.

I asked a PHD about this and when he witnessed the effect he was astonished that human perception could hear the effect. The percentage change he told me would probably involve counting the zeroes after the decimal point.

The key here is realizing that the crystals will work best if they can move, no matter how subtly, and then to place them in areas with strong EMI/RFI fields. Motors are a good place to start: TT motors, CD spin motors all benefit greatly. Remember that different sizes will affect different frequencies.
If you are worried abut them falling or moving out of place, use a piece of Blue tack or its equivalent, a soft putty which should not hinder movement much. I placed some in a contact lens holder and filled it with a bit of oil and that increased the effect, at least when properly placed.

Stu

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Michael Percy Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.