Home Propeller Head Plaza

Technical and scientific discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

Re: What Do You Guys Think Of This?

Hi Tubeguy

Well a couple of the others hit the nail.
Amplifiers (open loop) are normally limited in bw by a first order slope (-90 degrees), this insures that at no frequency is there more than 90 degrees phase when gain is greater than one. This is usually an RC filter which has a lower corner than all the other corners which the various other R’s L’s and C’s in the amplifier parts cause.
What the ad copy writer may not be aware this is called “Bode criteria” which defines unconditional stability. Having positive gain AND 180 degrees phase shift is an oscillator.

This device is not “in” the feedback loop, it is tied to the output between the amp and load.
The only thing that could “improve” feedback stability (from the outside) would be to lessen the load at high frequencies (via a series L).
This (if large enough) would be audible as it rolls the hf off.
To the listener, a speaker which is flat sounds very bright even brittle. People like a rolled off high end and an inductor is about the only part small enough to have an effect and fit in the package.

Tell you what, I am curious now about your RCA’s and what you would think of them if they were dialed in.
If I remember, you didn’t have any drivers for them.
It’s spring here, my measurement tower is up and running in the back, if you send me one of the boxes empty in a re-usable box, I’ll figure out some drivers and crossover and ship you an empty box back and a list of stuff.
I re-did an A-7 driver / crossover a few years ago that turned out very nice but it required some internal bracing (which even shows up on the TEF haha) so it would make sense to do this before the boxes are nicely finished etc.
If interested, write me off list.
Best,

Tom

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: What Do You Guys Think Of This? - tomservo 15:11:35 04/23/07 (1)
    • Thanks Tom - thetubeguy1954 07:10:02 04/24/07 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.