Home Propeller Head Plaza

Technical and scientific discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

Re: Technical vs. psychoacoustic accuracy

Actually PatD, I would more or less agree with you that they are two different definitions. The question is, "What should we be striving for, technical accuracy or psychoacoustical accuracy??"

"One is indicated by the image of a straight wire with gain, that the amplified signal is so very similar to the input signal that no difference can be heard.

The other is that the final result should sound like the real thing, and it really does take more to do that at home than a mere amplifier and a stereo system."

I wouldn`t really agree with this though because the image of a straight wire with gain is of course technical accuracy...as envisioned by engineers. What is not accounted for is the METHOD used to achieve such specs and the AUDIBILITY consequences of these methods. The goal should be psychoacoustical accuracy because after all we are not oscilloscopes. If this can be achieved with technical accuracy, great! If not, then it is clear the process of achieving low distortion is more important than the final result (in terms of absolute amount).

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Crux Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.