Home Propeller Head Plaza

Technical and scientific discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

Re: Some interesting replies.

John:

How "deep" you drill down into how something actually works depends on the intent of the model you are trying to create. We all know that everything around us is working within the laws and principles of quantum mechanics. But that does not devalue every model that science has made for us. Actually, to scrap all models we have at our disposal in science and just cite "quantum physics" is really where things are just being "explained away".

The bottom line is that after all that "quantum mechanics" talk is said and done, it still leads us to a differentiation between electrons, where the ones in the innermost orbits are referred to as bound electrons, and the more easily dislodged electrons in the outermost orbitals are referred to as free electrons.

Let's face it - almost every concept in science and mathmatics is a model of some sort. If it were not, quantum mechanics would be the ONLY language of science and it is not. I don't need to know what is going on at the atomic level when a white blood cell eats a bug do I? Do I need to account for the path of each electron when current flows? No. Almost all mathmatics based on current flow is based on some sort of model of current flow. We don't tally up the work done by each electron in it's crazy jittery path up and down energy levels and from atom to atom. There's too many of them to count, so we model the process.

I would entertain comments about where a model is insufficient or inaccurate, but to suggest 'models are useless and you need quantum physics' is really the only place where things are being "explained away" in my mind.

Cheers,
Presto

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Herbie's Audio Lab  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.