Home Propeller Head Plaza

Technical and scientific discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

Re: What Constitutes Accurate Musical Replication?

>> The idea that the signal generated from the mics is in anyway going to translate into any sort of *reproduction* of *The original acoustic event* is laughable.<<

>No. The brain is very good at filling in missing information so long as the cues are correct.<

Missing cues? I'm talking about complete missing information. You have an acoustic event that is happening in literally millions of cubic inches and you have mics with distinctive characteristics of their own trying to capture this event with anywhere from a a few square inches to a few dozen square inches of transduders. As far as reproduction is involved the very idea is absurd. But the people who designed stereophonic recording and playback knew *reproduction* was an absurd goal which is why they went for a stereophonic *illusion.*

>Proper multichannel recordings played back over loudspeakers are a substantial step towards "being there" type accuracy compared to stereo recordings.<

Actually they aren't at all. Multi-chanel in essense, is just another stab at a stereophonic illusion with more chanels. It still is an attempt at an *illusion* rather than a *replication* of an original event and it still can only attempt to create an illusion from a single fixed perspective.

> Accurate binaural recordings are an even bigger step. Both these involve straightforward established knowledge and fairly cheap hardware compared with the typical prices of audiophile hardware.<

Binaural is just two channel stereophonic playback. The differences are very much a matter of detail. The basic approach is exactly the same.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.