Home Propeller Head Plaza

Technical and scientific discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

Re: Addendum: PEAR and Giessen experiments

Hi

Unfortunately I have lost contact with the customer that knew some people doing the research so I hadn’t read any of the conclusion papers or heard anything in years.
I was surprised to find they had closed though given what they seemed to have found "back then".
I suppose it is appropriate that the whole thing is even more complicated and fuzzy, like they say “not reproducible”.

Some quotes from that paper that actually do sound like high end hifi:

“Dealing with psi anomalies scientifically therefore requires that I already believe in the existence of these anomalies if I want to obtain positive and significant results.”

“If psi exists, and I believe it, psi will also acting in the skeptics attempt to obtain evidence for the non-existence of psi.”

So, lets say you were the designer, your task to design an amplifier or speakers etc that will be sold to unknown people.
You have no idea what they think or like or what kind of music they will play.
Do you design based on engineering things that are reproducible every time or things that depend on the user having a particular pre-disposed (favorable) mindset?
Do you design a speaker to mentally evoke the strongest emotional reaction (in its appearance, physical complexity / weight / cost) or do you focus on reducing the myriad of invisible acoustical flaws they have?

Keep in mind, what ever psi effect there is, it is small enough to evade conclusive detection / quantification even now.
Best,

Tom

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.