Home Propeller Head Plaza

Technical and scientific discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

Re: A voltage multiplier that does not change the frequency response and adds little distortion

Richard,

There's really nothing to give you "the business" about. We have different POVs but you give yours usually, without a need to berate mine. I have no problem with people disagreeing with my POV, if they can express their POV without a need to attack mine while doing so.

After reading your post I think where we really disagree is what constitutes accuracy. I don't believe tubed equipment provides a presentation that's less accurate albeit with a pleasing coloration. IMHO the more accurate presentation is the one from an audio component, be it tubed or solidstate, the replicates the sound of a piano, sax, guitar, singer etc., the closest to how the ear/brain hears it were it to listen to that same instrument live and unamplified. Now "if" I understand your postion of accuracy you're defining accuracy as how being the audio component that most closely matches a microphone's output signal.

I don't believe to the extent that a tube amplifier can produce an audible difference, versus a solid state amplifier, that difference is most likely caused by high output impedance affecting the frequency response of the speakers. My reasoning is I heard Bob Carver's Sunfire amps when he offered (he may still do so I don't know) two different outputs on the back of the same amp. One of these outputs supposedly sounded like a tube amp and was labled as voltage and one the other one sounded like a solidstate amp and was labled current. IIRC the ONLY difference between these 2 outputs was the tube sounding output had a high output impedance and the solidstate sounding one did not. I can only tell you that in my subjective opinion the high impedance output of the Sunfire amps which "supposedly" sounded like a tube amp didn't, in fact subjectively it wasn't as pleasing as the low impedance solidstate sounding output from the same amp. So there MUST be something else going on besides there being a high impedance that effects why a tubed amp sounds so realistic.

Have a nice day Richard...

Thetubeguy1954

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  McShane Design  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.