Home Propeller Head Plaza

Technical and scientific discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

I offerred no solutions at all.........

merely the observation that some of the discussions in the world of musicians are very similar to those that go on here.

All I tried to illustrate is that musicians feel the same way that many audiophiles do about sound and audibility of certain, as yet, undefined qualities. If you read the Physicsweb article, you would have noted that a physicist commented that we don't yet know what to measure. Where have you heard that? And the articles stated exactly what you said, not all Strads are created equal. I just found it interesting that considerations similar to those discussed here are also common to the world of performers. The Ovation anecdote illustrates (to me) that even "off the street" guitar players may hear a deficiency. The Stern anecdote illustrates to me that some modern luthiers may provide a product which, in the right hands, may produce musical sounds that include all of those undefined qualities that the highest levels of violinists find desirable. And, I have no reason to believe that they cannot hear those differences when they say that they can. Neither, in and of itself, proves anything except that they are of enough interest to me to post them. If things that interest me are not of interest to you, fine, don't bother reading any more of my posts.

Roger Hill

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.