Home Propeller Head Plaza

Technical and scientific discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

RE: Objective Measurement Results for Cables

andy19191 wrote:
"Not at all if the measurements are sufficient. For example, if the authors labelled the y axis for the plots that curiously have the label "dB" but no numbers with, say, 1.0x10-6, 2.0x10-6,... "

As far as I can see, the graphs are labeled, with a visible range of 50 dB, and the level of the distortion products showing as high as "82 dB" or so.

After looking at the original AES article from CV engineers with the test signal modeled there, as well as actual measurements of some drivers in that same paper, the levels of the distortion products shown in the Newell and Howard paper implies a level that would have the primary tones at a level of 120-130 dB on that scale, meaning that the higher level distortion products are at -38 to -48 dB. My experience with reading and interpreting multitones, as well as the calculated modeling and actual measurements provided by the CV engineers provides a pretty solid base for this kind of assessment.

Note that many of these distortion products would be very aharmonic IM products, very plainly audible because they are not part of a harmonic series, but rather, at odd and unharmonicaly related frequencies. There are also more than just one of them, over a dozen clustered at levels within 10 dB of the highest ones. A veritable cacophony of odd ball distortion tones much harder to ignore than a simple 2nd or 3rd harmonic distortion product.

Jon Risch

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.