Home Propeller Head Plaza

Technical and scientific discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

Re: Pinging cheap-Jack: Morricab would like a word with you.

>>Ahem...him calling you "pal" wasn't really his way of trying to make friends with you but you seemed to take it this way. He was not really presuming anything with using that word. <<

Uh... I know that actually. I wasn't being sincere. It was kinda meant as a joke. However, c-J is sincerely annoying with that "pal", "bud", "my friend", crap. It's insulting and I've asked him to cut that crap out, let's see how "civil" he is, and if he does.

>>I am calling the notion of freezing an item and that making it sound permanently better a silly notion. <<

You know what's ironic? That's actually one of the "sanest" tweak ideas in my roster.

>>I gather you have tested this many times, right?<<

Yes.

>> Under what conditions? <<

Usually icy cold.

>>Have you tried to repeat it in some kind of controlled manner? Do you have an idea for a working mechanism? <<

Funny you should mention that... look at the top of this forum, I have posted a request for suggestions for a protocol for the freeze effect test. You can suggest -your- desired controls, conditions, etc. As for the working mechanism.... yes, but I'm afraid its Beltian, and that's just going to get tossed out on its hiney in this place (along with anything that isn't yet established in scientific peer-review journals). I think if I discuss that here, then I'm better off discussing it after that I post my test files, and people can evaluate the first step, which is determining if it works at all.

>>You have to realize that as a scientist, I am by nature a keen observer and skeptic about my own observations. Often my observations have led to interesting discoveries but they have also led to dead ends because not everything is as it seems...even to our extended senses (ie. instruments). <<

You mean like the double-slit experiment?

>>Sometimes what looked like an interesting piece of data was, upon further review, a loose connection or picking up stray RFI. THis is why the first observation of a phenomenon is followed by the next 100 until it is sure the phenomenon is real and repeatable. That blip on the screen may be something unique or noise.<<

I don't know about doing 100 WAV files, but for this reason, I have asked people how many is satisfactory to be certain the phenomenon is real and not a "blip".

>>I tell you what, you tell me which objects in the freezer gave the most dramatic effects and I will test them out. I will put cds or cables in there or hell even a picture of myself.<<

Why not do multiple items? I don't know why people only try one thing at a time. Results are always better when multiplied. It's hard to say which gives most dramatic effects, since I've never really compared one object to another. "Most dramatic effects" is really freezing each component in your system (probably not the answer you're looking for). The amp is a good place to start for me, although most people just start with CD's, because its easy, and they can have an identical control cd that's unfrozen. If you're feeling "experimental", I would say to basically stuff everything you can fit in there at once! I mean if you can get your DAC, amp and all your cables in at once, why not? It would still mean only 2 days processing time (without your stereo). I left detailed instructions the process in a post to cheap-jack, in case you don't know how its done.

The photo in the freezer, although it sounds absurd, does have an effect IMO, and is at least easy to do, if anyone wants to have a go. The "official" way is to get two photos of yourself, one when you were a child, the other a more recent snap. (It could even be a photocopy, but I think the original is better). Sign the photos on the back. Place them in ziploc bags (this is to protect them, but if that's not a concern, don't use the bags as they degrade the sound just a slight tad), then you simply place them in your freezer. If all goes well, what will happen is that sound will improve when the photos are in the freezer, and degrade when they are taken out. It's a pretty 'advanced technique', but those who have experienced this and know it isn't a placebo, know they have to chuck out all their previous presumptions about what is and isn't 'silly' in the science of sound reproduction.

> Or even of you if you send me one. As tweaks go I guess its cheap enough.

You mean by snail mail? Ok, email your address to me and I'll send you a silly tweak. The catch is, you gotta promise to try it, no matter how absurd the premise seems to you, and post results here. But only if they're positive! (just kidding).

Objective Audiophile 2007

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.